Skip to main content

The Best Legacy We Can Give

Life is like ocean. First wave will be overrolled by second and second will be overlapped by third and so on. What I want to talk on this post right now is what is the best legacy we can give to our children. Every parents love their children, worry and try their best to make their children's future to be easier and better than themselves'.

Photo Credit : The Corner via photopin (license)

On the time I write this blog post, I am not a father yet. So what I want to share here is my opinion as a son. We, as a human, tend to follow our parents' steps.

My parents prepare me to take their business. They have networks on their field, they have loyal customers, and they also have simple (I called it simple because it is still traditional and unrefined) administration system. Yes, all I need to make it run is already there.

I appreciate it, yes I really do. But here are the problems :

1. Economy and Resources' Problems.

Economy conditions keep changing. Our business needs to adapt to it. Business our parents made needs to be changed according to economy conditions.

But it is easier to be said than be done. System which is built for years is not something easily changed, but still not impossible.

And human resources' problems too. Working Force are changing too. Their interests and skills differ from previous generations. Job descriptions which interest working force nowadays are different too. That means we need to change our business' processes.

2. I am neither My Father nor My Mother.

This is the biggest mistake parents make. They tend to push their legacy to their children. Their business was built and designed by them to FIT them well.

I am neither my father nor my mother. How can it fit me? It is like I am forced to wear a set of clothes which its size and model is UNFIT my body.

What my parents think is easy doesn't mean it will be easy for me, and vice versa.

So, here is my idea. From problems I described above, what we can give to our children is :

Fishing Rod and How to Fish on Their Own Boat


I repeat it again : "Fishing rod and how to fish on their own boat". That means we should prepare our children to be able make what they are made of, not what we think is the best for them on our virtual reality.

A lot of parents dream their children become a great musician. What about their interests? Do they have talents on music? Yes, talents are overrated, but do they like or at least inspired by music? If not, do they grow if you insist them to do that? The answer is NO. That will waste their time and will not produce any fruit.

We need to make an environment which boost our children's growth. When we see Bill Gates, we see Steve Jobs, we see Zinedine Zidane, we see Sergey Brin.... They got the best environments to grow their skills and talents. Malcolm Gladwell, in his Outlier book, analyze and conclude that environments they were grown up really give them great advantages to their success.

So, what kind of fishing rod you can give to your children on their life boat? Share it on comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do Children Tend To Do Same Career As Their Parents?

Recently, I got a question pop up to my head whether we as children will eventually do same career as our father's / mother's. So, I googled it and found out that facebook researchers did some analysis from their huge members' data (you can read their article and data here : https://research.facebook.com/blog/do-jobs-run-in-families-/ ). From their research, they found out that people more likely to choose same as their parents' occupation compare to others whom their parents aren't do that occupation. Confused?? It means that if your parents are doctors, you more likely would be a doctor compare to your friend whom parents are lawyer. Why? Because we, humans, are "built" by world around us. When we were kids, our minds were like a blank page, and as we grow we learn new things. Where did we learn it from? You know the answer, yes, it was from our parents (including our kindergarden and school teachers, but their influence will be very small) and

When "Doing Nothing" Actually Give You More

Doing nothing but give you more? Isn't it counter productive? Yes, if you completely do nothing in your life, but that is not what I want to write on blog post here. It is more to do with doing nothing for your healthy inner self. Photo Credit:  After 10km trail, a rest.  via  photopin   (license) We, human beings, aren't robots. Even machines need their own off times. That's the idea. You need it. It is not only normal rest, I know people's definition of rest on these days are watching tv, playing games, surfing internet, and anything that have correlation with technologies. I tried it myself recently, I turned off my handphone, I backed off from my computer, and I didn't watch tv. What did I do then? I did nothing. Breathed. Watched the best movie on the world (real life) outside of window. It is best if you can go to park and enjoy the world. Forget about your jobs, forget your to do list for a bit, do nothing. When you do it, feel your body rela

The Key to be An Expert or Grandmaster on Your Field

If you have read Malcolm Gladwell's Outliers, you know the answer : the 10,000 hours rule. But the problem is practice that much time only is not enough. Photo Credit :  874791 via photopin   (license) The 10,000 hours rule concept was introduced in academic circles in the early 1970s, and was popularized by Malcolm in his 2008 book. That's approximately 20 hours a week for 10 years. If you want to be a world class performer, this cannot be avoided. Every greatest man on this world got through this, no matter how talented or genius you are, you will not become the best on the world without live through vigorous training before you show yourself to the world. Even Ernest Hemingway did it, Van Gough had drawn countless drawing before making a contemporary painting we enjoy today. And maybe you already know, Michael Jordan trained himself a lot of freethrows and numerous core training everyday before he becomes a legend. But, it won't make any different, if you